James Wilks traveled from England to Orange County, California in 2000 to further his martial arts training. Having focused on stand up striking arts in the UK, James was exposed to the high level of grappling in the USA. He soon realized the training opportunities living in Southern California and decided to stay. James had his first professional MMA fight in October of 2003 defeating successful ‘Ultimate Fighter’ participant and Sambo world bronze medalist Roman Mitichyan by Armbar. After a two year break from fighting, due to focusing on training and coaching students, James returned to test his skills again. After winning the Gladiator Challenge welterweight title he was chosen for Season 9 of the Ultimate Fighter. UK vs USA. This drove James to train harder than ever before. He won the TUF finale on June, 20th 2009
James has trained primarily under MMA coach Erik Paulson and represents Combat Submission Wrestling. He has been a sparring partner for Josh Barnett, Renato ‘Babalu’ Sobral, Ken Shamrock, Vernon White, Guy Mezger, Danny Suarez, Joe Stevenson, Cub Swanson, Jay Martinez, Hector Lombard, Mark Munoz and Mike Guymon. Nicknamed “Lightning” by his training partners and fans for his flash fast striking, James Wilks is a well rounded Mixed Martial Artist comfortable on his feet or on the ground. Next opponent beware!
Height: 6ft 1”
Pro Record: 10-4 (Including 3 wins on the Ultimate Fighter)
“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910
Lightning on Twitter
- @MikeHammersmith Thanks in reply to MikeHammersmith 2012-09-27
- @MikeHammersmith Agreed in reply to MikeHammersmith 2012-09-13
- @MikeHammersmith Good solution. in reply to MikeHammersmith 2012-09-12
- @MikeHammersmith @nicolasswallow @WholeFoods Even if 1/10 plates were eaten it would be less waste than chicken (20 calories in for 1 out) in reply to MikeHammersmith 2012-09-12
- @MikeHammersmith Beg to differ. Have completely the opposite experience. Its about the way you raise and educate the kids. in reply to MikeHammersmith 2012-09-12
- @MikeHammersmith @nicolasswallow @WholeFoods Maybe less would be thrown away if we encouraged the kids to eat more plants in reply to MikeHammersmith 2012-09-12
- More updates...